The National Pork Board (NPB) has engaged three industry-leading chefs to demonstrate how pork can work for both commercial kitchens and for consumers.
Three industry-leading chefs will demonstrate how pork can work for both commercial kitchens and the home kitchen during the Taste of Now campaign, which runs from October through December.
The campaign, which kicks off during October, National Pork Month, features pork cuts that deliver great flavor and value.
The three chefs:
- Chef Matt Abdoo, of New York, N.Y., is known for his smoke-centric culinary destination, Pig Bleecker and award-winning barbecue at Pig Beach.
- Chef Adam Sappington, of Portland, Oregon, is an established cookbook author, James Beard finalist and owner and head chef of The Country Cat, a cozy restaurant that blends Midwest and Northwestern cuisines.
- Chef José Mendín, of Miami Beach and Puerto Rico, is a five-time James Beard semi-finalist, founding partner and chef at Pubbelly Restaurant Group, including, Pubbelly Noodle Bar, an Asian-inspired gastropub.
The chefs will create the pork dishes, demonstrate the techniques behind them and show how pork inspires their creativity in the kitchen – in their restaurant and at home. The chefs will be photographed and videotaped for the Checkoff’s UNCUT series, which was developed for foodservice professionals in 2014. The chefs received extensive training that included Pork 101, media training, and a sow farm and packer/processor tour.
The Taste of Now campaign targets foodservice professionals, retailers and general market and Hispanic consumers to create a coordinated effort that reaches all audiences. The campaign is designed to communicate the opportunity pork presents for incredible flavor, profitability, value and versatility.
UNCUT showcases how today’s hottest chefs are reinventing menus with pork. Make It Like This: Chef Edition targets the consumer audience and showcases how the chefs like to cook and eat pork at home.
The chefs have provided two recipe types for the consumer audience – advanced and quick-and-easy. The foodservice videos will be live on PorkFoodservice.org; the consumer videos will be hosted on PorkBeinspired.com and PorkTeinspira.com and shared on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
Additionally, these chef advocates will be featured at two public relations events this fall.
- The James Beard Foundation and the Pork Checkoff have teamed up again to host Pork-A-Palooza at the historic Beard House on Tuesday, Oct. 10 in New York. The dinner will celebrate all things pork, with a five-course meal prepared by Chefs Abdoo, Sappington and Mendín, in addition to the Checkoff’s Stephen Gerike and Pastry Chef Jackie Sappington, co-owner of the Country Cat.
- The 8th Pork Crawl will be held in New York from Nov. 7-9 hosted by Chef Abdoo. Chefs Mendín and Sappington will be on hand as support. The Crawl is an exclusive two-day culinary event where guests will see New York City through the eyes of a chef by exploring the city’s premier pork dishes from lower Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Source: National Pork Board